Costs, Grants, Allowances
Tuition fees - New regulation
With amendment of the Austrian University Act (Universitätsgesetz 2002) the regulations concerning tuition fees have changed.
!!!Please check your tuition fee status within January 2013 at your KUGonline Visiting card under “Studienbeitragsstatus”!!!
If you have any questions concerning the prescribed amount of tuition fee, please come with all your documents (residence title, settlement permit etc.) to the admission office before paying the tuition fee.
Opening hours are:
Monday – Thursday: 09 - 12 am
Thursday: 2 – 3:30 pm
Please note! Apart from this amount, you will always need to pay the students‘ union fee incl. insurance (€ 17.50 per semester) to continue your studies!
The amount of the tuition fee
In general, the tuition fee is € 363.36 per semester, respectively € 726.72 for non-EU nationals. Within the extended admission period the amount of the tuition fee is increased by 10%, which leads to a total amount of € 399,70.
Apart from this amount, you will also need to pay the students‘ union fee incl. insurance (€ 17.50 per semester). Within the extended admission period the amount of the students’ union fee remains the same.
This leads to a total amount of either € 380.86 or € 744.22 per semester in the general admission period.
However, the amount of the tuition fee is not increased for non-degree program students and students who need to pay € 744.22 during the extended admission period.
Who is exempted from the tuition fee?
Exemption for a limited period
The following degree program students are exempted from the tuition fee as long as they study within the minimum duration of their degree program plus two additional semesters:
- Austrian citizen
- Citizen of the EU
- Citizen of the EEA
- Citizen of Switzerland
- Recognised refugees
- People granted subsidiary protection
- People with following settlement permits:
• "Daueraufenthalt - EG" issued by the responsible Austrian authority
• "Daueraufenthalt - EG" issued by the responsible authority of an EU-member state and a settlement permit for Austria
• "Daueraufenthaltskarte" issued by the responsible Austrian authority
- Citizen of Turkey because of the Association Agreement between Turkey and the European Economic Community
- Students because of the Personengruppen-Verordnung
- Students with another residence title than „Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierende“
In this case students pay only the students' union fee of € 17.50 until the end of the admission period in order to continue their studies.
In case you exceeded the minimum duration of your degree program (plus two additional semesters) you pay the tuition fee of € 380.86. This amount consists of the tuition fee (€ 363.36) and the students' union fee (€ 17.50).
If you are a citizen of one of the following countries, the University of Music and Performing Arts grants you a general exemption of the tuition fee. You only have to pay the students’ union fee of € 17.50 per semester.
Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo - Democratic Republic, Djibouti, Equadorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kambodscha, Kap Verde, Kiribati, Komoren, Laos - People's Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauretania, Mozambik, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Yemen and Zambia.
What’s the tuition fee rebate for students from Eastern and South-Eastern Europe?
Students of degree programs from the following countries (= KUG’s focus on Eastern/Southeastern European countries),
shall be exempted from payment of tuition fees if the length of their studies does not exceed the minimum length of studies plus a period of grace of 1 semester and if they achieve at least 30 ECTS credits per year with an average grade of 2.5 or better. Exemption from payment for the first 3 semesters is taken into account automatically. After this period it is necessary to apply for exemption under the indicated conditions. Please observe the relevant registration deadlines (November 15 to December 15, and April 15 to May 15).
• Exemption from payment of tuition fees (focus on Eastern/Southeastern European countries)
• Infos zum Erlass des Studienbeitrages (focus on Eastern/Southeastern European countries - German)
• Information about exemption from payment of tuition fees (focus on Eastern/Southeastern European countries - English)
If the conditions are not met, an amount of € 380.86, i.e. tuition fees (€ 363.36) plus “ÖH-Beitrag” (€ 17,50), shall be paid.
If you are a non-EU-/EEA-citizen of a country, which is not mentioned in the lists above, you have to pay the double amount of the tuition fee and the students' union fee.
Full and timely payment of your prescribed tuition fees is a prerequisite of your admission to studies, respectively of registration for the continuation of your studies! Payment by instalments is not an option.
Please pay only within the admission period of each semester (SS 2013: January 7th to February 5th; extended admission period: February 6h to April 30th, but not for bachelor programs)!
You can find the amount and the informations for payment of your tuition fee online at your KUGonline Visiting card at “Studienbeitragsstatus”!!!
Remission of the tuition fee
Degree program students (except non-EU-nationals who are holders of a residence title for students - "Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierende") have the possibility to apply for remission of the tuition fee. Please note! Apart from the remission of tuition fee, you will always need to pay the students' union fee incl. insurance (€ 17.50 per semester) to continue your studies!
The application period for the summer semester ends with March 1st and on Oktober 1st for the winter semester. Please submit applications for a remission of tuition fees to the Admissions Office.
All documents must be submitted as original documents or legalized copies. Documents issued in foreign languages must comply with the appropriate regulations with regard to translation and leglization.
The following statutory grounds are valid:
- The student was hindered in his/her studies by serious illness for at least two months during the respective semester or for at least two months during the respective semester due to pregnancy
Documentation: written confirmation from a medical specialist
- The student is the main person responsible for the care and upbringing of a child below the age of 7 years, or until the child enters first grade, living in the same household
Documentation: Birth certificate and residence registration form (Meldezettel) of the child, residence registration form of the student and a sworn declaration that the student is the main person responsible for the care of the child
- The student was employed in 2012 with an income of at least € 5,267.64 for the year
Documentation: income tax statement from the appropriate financial authorities
- The student has a disability of at least 50% as defined by federal regulations
Documentation: disability pass issued by the Austrian social services officedisability
- The student was enlisted for military service or compulsory social service for more than 2 months of the respective degree program or program phase
Documentation: written confirmation from the relevant military command post or social service agent
- The student is the recipient of a study grant pursuant to the Student Support Act (Studienförderungsgesetz, StudFG) 1992 in the current semester or the semester immediately preceding the current semester.
Documentation: Official notification letter from the Austrian Study Grant Authority (Studienbeihilfenbehörde)
! PLEASE NOTE !
If it is not possible to submit your application for remission of the tuition fee before October 1 or March 1, respectively, or in the case that valid grounds for a remission (e.g. illness, conscription to military or social service, or responsibility for the care of a child) occur at a later date during the respective semester, tuition fees must be paid. However, an application for reimbursement of the tuition fee must be submitted, accompanied by the documents named above, for the winter semester by March 31, and for the summer semester by September 30.
Reimbursement of the tuition fee
You have valid reasons for reimbursement of the amount payable to the KUG if you have paid your tuition fee and one of the following applies:
- your application for remission of tuition fee was approved after you paid your tuition fee;
- you have paid excess tuition fee
- your tuition fee payment fell short of the prescribed amount, thus invalidating your admission to studies at the KUG
- you have completed your studies or you have disenrolled from your studies at the KUG before the end of the extended admission without taking any examination during the relevant semester, you may not have submitted any scientific work for evaluation and you may not have been admitted to studies at any other Austrian university;
- you paid tuition fee because you got your documents concerning your application for remission after the application periode for remission
Applications for reimbursement shall be submitted before the following deadlines:
- for the winter semester: the next 31 March
- for the summer semester: the next 30 September
Regardless of their citizenship, non-degree program students have to pay € 380.86 per semester within the general admission period. This amount consists of the tuition fee (€ 363.36) and the students' union fee (€ 17.50). The amount of the tuition fee is not increased for non-degree program students during the extended admission period.
If you are attending exclusively a university course or supplementary studiest the KUG, you are exempted from the tuition fee. You have to pay the students' union fee and the fee of the program you are attending.
• Overview of tuition fees at the University of Music and Performing Arts in summer semester 2013
Scholarship and Allowances
- Call for applications for merit scholarships
- Application for merit scholarships
- Promotional scholarships
- Call for applications for a KUG scholarship for one year of study to be awarded to foreign students
- Call for applications for a KUG scholarship for one semester (single payment) to be awarded to foreign students
- Work scholarship 2013/2014 (announcement)
For in-depth information about “Scholarships and Allowances”, please click here