German language courses elsewhere
Learning the German language early definitely facilitates living in Graz or Oberschützen, getting in touch with other students, orienting oneself in the degree programme and following lectures. Therefore, we highly recommend attending a German language course already at home before going to Graz or Oberschützen.
German language courses in Graz
In case you need to take a supplementary exam to prove that you have sufficient knowledge of the German language, in order to be allowed to continue your studies, you should definitely prepare yourself by taking a supplementary language course at the University Preparation Programme Graz (so-called "VGUH")!
Hint: The VGUH does not offer A1 / A2 exams!
German language courses in Oberschützen
Students in Oberschützen have to contact the Registrar's Office (Secretary of the Institute) regarding their participation of a German language course. The course takes place directly at the Institute 12, if there is a sufficient number of participants (at least five persons).
TIP: Find all important information in the information sheet of the Welcome Center!
Accepted Certificates and Proofs
- "Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch" (ÖSD exam)*
- Goethe Certificate*
- "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" (DSH)*
- "Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kulturministerkonferenz" (DSD)*
https://www.kmk.org/themen/deutsches-sprachdiplom-dsd.html (only for taking the exam)
- "Österreichischer Integrationsfonds" (ÖIF)*
- Graduation of 8 school years at a German-speaking school
- 4 years of German lessons in secondary level II (“Sekundarstufe II”) and a school leaving certificate (“Matura”) in the school subject German
- School leaving certificate (“Matura”) which was examined in German language
- Academic degree of a degree programme with German language as language of instruction
* Must not be older than 2 years
German language courses for exchange students
Further German language courses for students and university employees are offered by Treffpunkt Sprachen. These courses are especially recommended for all those who are not required to take a supplementary exam to prove sufficient knowledge of the German language (e.g. ERASMUS incoming students). In certain cases (e.g. ERASMUS incoming students) a part of the costs of taking these courses will be refunded after the submission of a proof of participation. If this applies to you, please enquire at the International Office (IO). This has to be done before you start the course.
Tip: In case you need to take a supplementary exam in the course of your studies to prove sufficient knowledge of the German language, you can attend these courses in addition to the German language course of the VGUH, or you can attend these courses, in order to intensify your language competency even after you have already passed the supplementary exam.