The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz stands for innovative research that builds on the synergy of art and academia. It was the first university of music in the German-speaking world, that offered a doctorate for artists because of the conviction that artistic work combined with academic research can generate new knowledge for art, academia and society.
This programme is a great opportunity for artists in the field of music or transdisciplinary art, who show promising research potential and have the explicit wish to deepen and evolve their art through academic reflection.
Courses are held at the following institute(s):
- an appropriate master's or diploma degree in music or performing arts
- a substantial artistic career
- knowledge of German and/or English (approx. level C1 of the European Framework of Reference for Languages, CEFR)
All information about the admission requirements as well as the application procedure can be found on the homepage of the artistic-scientific doctoral school.
After positive examination of the documents, the date for the presentation of the research project to the doctoral committee will be communicated by e-mail.
Please note, that your major artistic subject has to be mentioned in your documents. Otherwise, please submit a confirmation about your major artistic subject issued by your University (on your University's letter paper and with your University's stamps/seals and signatures) in addition.
- Required German language competency
- Legalization regulation of foreign documents
- Information sheet legalization (Welcome Center)
- Information sheet for newly admitted students
- Checklist for planning and starting your studies at KUG
- Welcome Center - for any questions concerning planning and starting your studies