Courses are held at the following institute(s):
- Candidates must be at least 17 years old
- Passing of an entrance exam
Test of aural skills and knowledge of music theory (with special emphasis on the requirements specific to Jazz): triads and four-note chords, melodic dictation, rhythmic dictation as well as scales.
Duration: 1 – 1.5 hours
Test of piano skills (not required for pianists): playing simple Jazz-like cadences in major and minor, announced by the examination board.
The successful completion of these parts is a prerequisite for the participation in the artistic part.
- Practical test with a rhythm section: candidates should prepare 4 pieces in different tempi from the Jazz repertoire: one piece with Stufenharmonik (Roman numerals), one modal piece, one Blues piece and one piece of free choice. A rhythm section will be provided: Candidates should bring the sheet music on their own.
- Solo practical test: candidates should prepare one through-composed (written-out) piece (etude or transcription).
- Test of sight-reading ability: the examination board will provide easy examples of jazz standard compositions.
Entrance Exam Prerequisites (PDF)
Jazz BA (Instruments/Voice)
- Required German language competency
- Information sheet for newly admitted students
- Checklist for planning and starting your studies at KUG
- Welcome Center - for any questions concerning planning and starting your studies