The programme Music Education - Voice and Instruments (IGP) at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz combines a high artistic level with a profound knowledge about aesthetic, psychological, pedagogical and technical processes when learning and teaching music. The goal of this programme is to educate the students to artistic personalities, who can react flexibly, constructively and creatively to the dynamic development of their professional field. To support personal strengths and interests, students can individually choose their study focus.
Instrument and music educators need a high level of communicative and creative skills to introduce different target groups in the diverse fields of activity to the multidimensionality of music and to teach making music in a diverse and healthy way.
For all external applicantsfor the Master's Programmes the following applies:
In the course of the required online application we need the following documents in time to the application deadline, in order to be able to forward your documents to our Dean of Studies for checking the equivalency of your preliminary studies:
- Your Bachelor's Diploma Certificate telling your academic degree (on your University´s letter paper and with your University´s stamps/seals and signatures)
- Official German (English is also OK) translation* of the Bachelor's Diploma Certificate
- Your Bachelor's final examination Certificate (on your University's letter paper and with your University's stamps/seals and signatures)
- Official German (English is also OK) translation* of the Bachelor's final examination Certificate
- Your Transcript of Records (Diploma Supplement / Academic Record / complete list of all subjects that you have passed, the credits/semester hours and grades on your University´s letter paper and with your University´s stamps/seals and signatures)
- Official German (English is also OK) translation* of your Transcript of Records / Diploma Supplement / Academic Records / list of subjects
Only after the Dean of Studies has confirmed the equivalency of your preliminary studies you will be notified for the entrance exam.
For external applicants, who have not graduated at KUG, the following applies:
- Apply for admission for the Master’s Programme Music Education - Voice and Instruments (IGP) - Classical (the application form as well as further information will be available in the Registrar's Office)
- If German is not your mother tongue: Evidence of knowledge of the German language (Level C1/CEFR)
See infobox for the required German language competency for studies at application!
- Passing the entrance exam in the main artistic subject (please note the requirements, which can be found in the curriculum under § 14 section 4 (exam for Bachelor's Programme IGP-Classical) and
- Passing the didactical exam in the main artistic subject (please note the requirements which can be found in the curriculum of the Bachelor's Programme IGP – Classical under § 14 section 3 point a–c. Please also note the following deadlines with regard to the required written didactical presentation, which are the same like for the application (see above!).
Please find further information about how to write the didactical presentation in the actual guide for preparation of written papers at KUG.
Please mind: Applicants, who have completed their Bachelor's Programme Music Education – Voice and Instruments (IGP) – Classical more than two semesters ago, also have to pass the entrance exam in the main artistic subject.
A teaching qualification, which has been acquired at an Austrian Conservatorium with public law can be accepted as a Bachelor's final exam, if you pass the following parts:
- Passing an audition (duration: approx. 30 minutes) in the main artistic subject by an examination board of KUG (the programme has to fulfil the same requirements as for the final exam in the main artistic subject (see annex 2 in the curriculum) in the level of difficulty as well as in the stylistic spectrum)
- Passing the didactical final exam in the main artistic subject (as described under § 14 section 3 of the curriculum)
- Positive judged Bachelor thesis (please see § 13 of the curriculum)
Further information about how to write a Bachelor's thesis can be found here.
Here you also can find further information about the entrance exam requirements for the Master's Programme IGP Classical.
Please note, that your major artistic subject has to be mentioned in your documents. Otherwise, please submit a confirmation about your major artistic subject issued by your University (on your University's letter paper and with your University's stamps/seals and signatures) in addition.
Entrance Exam Prerequisites (PDF)
- Required German language competency
- Legalization regulation of foreign documents
- Information sheet legalization (Welcome Center)
- Information sheet for newly admitted students
- Checklist for planning and starting your studies at KUG
- Welcome Center - for any questions concerning planning and starting your studies